Monday, March 4, 2019

Trust - A Privileged Position

One hundred and twenty faces, two hundred and forty eyeballs, all facing me - tracking me - measuring me against what they know and what they think they know.  Some look confidently at me, eye contact and smiles, some keep their eyes slightly lowered only to glance up at me quickly and then back down again.  Some of them fidget.  Sitting on the Multi-purpose Room floor can't be comfortable;  they rock on their knees, sit criss-cross applesauce, or curl their bodies around their legs pulled up to their chests, wrapping their arms as if to protect. These fifth graders, on the verge of middle school, are a bundle of energy and yet cautious; excited to be contemplating a move to sixth grade, and disbelieving that they will be leaving this elementary school in which they feel so safe.  And, they are looking to me, with such trust, to ensure that they will be safe, known, supported, and engaged in middle school.

What a privilege to ferry these young ones forward.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my! I think of my own fifth grader who will be leaving for middle school soon. It's so reassuring to know she will find trusted ones who will support her in her transition to middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a vivid portrait of this precious stage of schooling. You are so worthy of trust as you guide their path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are looking in the right place!

    ReplyDelete