Tuesday, March 12, 2019

It's funny when a sound can take you....

The clackity-clack, tippity-tap of my nails on the computer keyboard sent me right back...

I glanced at my fingers and realized my fingernails were lovely, but that my piano teacher was going to be upset with me for letting them grow so long.  My fingers should make no noise on the keyboard - and while my piano teacher would only give me a gentle reprimand, my sixteen-year-old self hated to disappoint her.  Sitting on her back porch, waiting for the student before me to finish their lesson, I contemplated my options.  I could run home (a mile) and cut them, and run back, definitely being late to my lesson - or I could take ugly measures to eliminate the problem.

Immediately, I determined my priorities. I chewed my fingernails off, every single one.  Finishing just as the door opened, I smiled at my fellow piano student and moved into the studio ready to play.  The nails were somewhat ragged, but there was no noise on the keyboard - and no reprimand from the teacher.  My sixteen-year-old self was relieved.

Funny that memory reappeared, though.  Must be time for a manicure!

6 comments:

  1. A great memory! I like how you weaved the two events- present and past- together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ellen! How you aim to please! That's one of your best qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I love how the sound brought you back to that moment. Well told!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. I was not expecting the ugly measure to be chewing off your nails. A shocking transition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got to wonder if she noticed your make-shift nail job with some amount of satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I like the rememberence of the childhood memory. I could picture a teenage girl chewing on he nails!

    ReplyDelete