Saturday, March 16, 2019

Lessons from Winnie the Pooh

The hubby and I watched the movie Christopher Robin this evening, and I was struck while watching by the fact that two of my favorite stories (Winnie the Pooh and Mary Poppins) really emphasize this idea of adults maintaining their connection to childhood and the beauty and simplicity of the imaginary world that children often exist in.  In fact, in both Christopher Robin and Mary Poppins (and the sequel) the adults are being reminded that the lessons from childhood are applicable and helpful, even vital, in their adult lives. 

It's interesting to reflect on these messages now, as an adult with grown children, and to consider how close to those messages I have lived my life.  I have to admit, (and my children might agree) perhaps farther away than I am comfortable saying out loud.  Although I interact daily with children, in many ways the play of children has been second to the work with children that I have done. 

Important lessons, however, are appropriate at any stage in life...and perhaps I am being reminded, as I open a new middle school, that childhood and imagination are precious parts of all children's lives that I hope to protect and support - and perhaps the best way for me to do this is to value it in my own life. 

2 comments:

  1. Great reminder that fun and play should always have a place in our days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always so happy to meet other middle school people who understand that middle schoolers are still children on the inside. They still need opportunities to play - outdoor time, free choice times, times to be social and silly and chat and let loose. (Same goes for the grown-ups in the building too!)

    ReplyDelete