Wednesday, March 20, 2019

I'd Like to Thank...

For the last few months I've had many, many teachers from around the district and the region reach out with interest in the new middle school that I'm in charge of opening this fall.  Anyone who has reached out, I've met with for a couple of reasons - first, if they are excited and interested in talking about opening a new school, I'm excited to talk to them; second, and I didn't realize this until recently, every time I meet with another potential staff member, I'm crafting and revising my beliefs about what it should be like to live, work, and learn in a middle school. 

I've always thanked (I hope) the people I've met with; but, recently I have begun thanking them for the opportunity to work with them to craft my thinking.  Their questions about a new middle school and what my priorities are as principal push me to analyze and reflect on what I envision as the ideal for middle school learners (both adults and students).  Development of this ideal has become especially important as we head into hiring season.  I want to be transparent with applicants - I have strong beliefs around how we serve our middle school students and families, as well as how we create a culture in which everyone is engaged in this mission. 

There are a couple of key points that I try to make in these meetings - and will make part of our hiring process:

  • The middle school model is designed to support the whole student if implemented appropriately.  I've seen it work, and I believe in its mission.
  • We lose students in middle school - they may drop out in high school - but we lose them in middle school.  Our mission is to create engaging, rigorous, and relevant classes so that we don't lose them.  If they ask, "Who cares?" about what they are learning - we need an answer that speaks to them. 
  • Construction will never be finished - we will adapt and adjust to the building and work with the construction team to create a fabulous environment for students.
  • Chaos is to be expected as we open a new school.  We will survive this well if we approach this with flexibility and a positive attitude.  We will do our best to anticipate and proactively plan - but it won't always work out.  Making mistakes is a fabulous way to learn how to do something better.  

So - many thanks to you!  Over the years, during the March Slice of Life, I have shared thoughts and beliefs about teaching and learning, and I totally appreciate the feedback that I've received.  It helps - so much. 


6 comments:

  1. You're welcome! I'm so excited to see your school take shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. I truly believe that without a strong philosophy to guide decision making, schools fail. When we hold tight to "everyone engaged," then it makes the process of decision making more ethical, if we talk about serving our middle school students, then that will always be a guiding principle in every decision. Looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two phrases stick out..." support the whole student" and "Chaos is to be expected"- doesn't that say it all? I look forward to hearing all about the students and the chaos- you're school will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can’t wait to see your school take shape- I know that it’s going to be a great place for kids. I agree with Mary- the line “Chaos is to be expected” says it all! But embracing that chaos and leaning into it is what makes you a strong leader!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is proof of what a reflective leader your are as your vision becomes more clear with each conversation. The new year is fast approaching, but it's clear that you are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this line- “Making mistakes is a fabulous way to learn how to do something better.” We tell our students this all the time, but sometimes do not offer ourselves this grace. All the best next school year!

    ReplyDelete