Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Opening a Middle School - I Need You!

I'm looking for recommendations - all sorts of recommendations.  Next fall I will open a brand new middle school in our school district.  This is an amazing opportunity to build a culture of support for students and staff and ensure that we all collaboratively work to create the best learning environment for all. 

I'd like to start the year with some shared experiences for staff - to get to know each other and begin the work of collaboration.  I'd also like to start the year with some unique PD experiences - what have you thought was amazing and brought you back to your "WHY?".  As well, I'm passionate about professional books - and I'd love to have a shared book experience that provides the team with a common language around teaching and learning. 

What suggestions might you have for me?  What would make a great start to the year for a brand new staff?  What books do you suggest? 

With great excitement -

Thank you!


3 comments:

  1. My advice is to find opportunities to play. The most memorable professional learning and team building activities I've participated in were fun. Engage your staff like you would engage your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Tracey. Activities that incorporate play are key. Last year, our art teacher brought mini canvases to the team leader retreat and led us all in painting a lighthouse on the shore. While she created a memorable image on a big canvas in front of the room, we each took a stab at imitating her work. We complimented each other on the unique interpretations...some chose different colors, some went minimalist. We all left with a tangible memory Many of them are visible in classrooms at school :-). Another idea is to do something together that leaves a mark at the school (paint a mural together, plant a garden, sign our names, etc.). Planting a garden could accompany a barbeque as well as a shared reading (there are several professional books and picture books that fit the bill). Just some quick thoughts. Love that you are thinking of community from the start!

    ReplyDelete