Friday, March 1, 2019

They're Home! They're Home!

I have been managing my empty nest better this year.  While there are still moments that I check the calendar thinking, "Shouldn't I be driving R somewhere?" there are many more moments when I relax into my chair and breathe a sigh of relaxation.  My time is, for now, my own, and I've grown to enjoy this, and while I think of the kids, they don't occupy the majority of my thoughts like they used to. 

But it is funny how our brains work.  This morning, after opening my eyes I immediately thought, "They will be home today, both of them! Whoo hoo!"  Spring Break (for them) starts tomorrow.  Upon finishing my day and leaving my school this afternoon, I began a mental list:

  • Things I needed to talk to each of them about (college graduation party, plans for summer), 
  • Things we might want to do together (see Bohemian Rhapsody, and Rome, check out the new Ballston Quarter)
  • Things I should have ready for them (rooms opened and warmed, towels out, toiletries available)
  • Things that if I were the perfect mother I would do (bake cookies, delicious smelling stew ready for them) 
  • Things I should buy since I'm far from the perfect mother (anything with a carb, since we have eliminated those bad things from our pantry) - and the children will walk into my house, glance around the kitchen, and predict their pending starvation. 
So, I think I'm ready.  I have a couple of Girl Scout Cookie Boxes (I stashed away for emergencies) ready to go; the kettle is on to boil; I've bought Bohemian Rhapsody; and I have an order placed to Domino's for delivery a little later.  Then we have all week to reconnect!


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect start to the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can smell the Spring Break from here! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your children's time home. Parents often feel a surge of excitement preparing for the return of family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited for you! Enjoy the time that you'll have together this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, sweet! Enjoy the full nest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so great that we have some time alone but it's also so great that after a few days all we want is them back. Recently, my partner is back in his home country for work and I have had my son to my own all weekend. When I go back to work on Mondays, I feel relieved but by midway through the day I also miss him dearly.

    ReplyDelete