Monday, March 25, 2019

Craving More Pie!

Today was a numbers day - and I'm not a numbers girl - so it was hard. So much hangs on these numbers - how many English teachers?  How many Social Studies teachers?  How many kids signed up for a World Language?  Do we have enough to staff what kids are interested in? 

So many questions, really, and yet the most important question continues to be, "What is our priority?" because that is where the numbers go.  So, what are my priorities as the principal?  Opportunity for students to explore the many things in our world that are interesting and engaging to them as human beings.  This means, I support the fine and performing arts, just as much as I support technology, literacy, math, history and the sciences. 

But, when it comes right down to it, I only have one pie, and no matter how many ways you slice it, that pie is finite - there are about 700 students.  The number of students dictates how big the pie is.  I believe in student choice; I believe in giving students a wide variety of experiences; I believe in open doors for middle school students. 

With only one pie, sliced in crazy ways, I want to make it all happen for all of them!

3 comments:

  1. And don’t forget the ice cream! I don’t envy you this task, but I know you’ll slice it the best you can for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is why I didn't get my masters in administration. I don't want to have to figure all of this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry if the slices are a little uneven. The filling and the crust are what matters in the end.

    ReplyDelete