Friday, March 8, 2019

James Taylor was right, "You've Got a Friend."

As I've reached a "certain" age, I've found myself with fewer friends than ever before.  Perhaps it's the job change; perhaps its the age; likely it has much to do with the stage of life I find myself in (kids grown, loss of the built-in community).  Today, I was reminded, that there is something really special about reconnecting with a friend. 

This afternoon a friend and I attended the wake for a former student. There is never anything good that can be said in this situation, except, I'm so thankful that our paths crossed with this young person...and we are so sorry for your loss.  So my friend and I supported each other through this tragic event - making small talk with former parents, garbling irrelevant but heartfelt words of sorrow to the parents of the young person, and standing around awkwardly waiting, blinking our eyes in a desperate effort to maintain our composure. 

Afterwards, we found a quiet corner in a restaurant to catch up - and catch up we did: on the joys and sorrows, the worries and wonders, and the life events that we have missed in each other's lives since we don't do bus duty together, daily, anymore. 

From that place of sorrow came peace and the solace of being heard for who you are and who you hope to be, by one who knows you well.

James Taylor was right, "You've Got a Friend."



6 comments:

  1. Friendship as an affirmation of life after loss is a powerful theme here. I’m glad you guys were there together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry about the loss of your former student. I have had two pass in just as many months but there is nothing more powerful than friends to help you through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for this loss. It's never an easy feeling. I'm glad you got to reconnect with someone; that song is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tough afternoon for sure. I'm glad you got to end the evening with friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful post--a powerful reminder of why we need good friends in our lives.

    This golden line took my breath away: "From that place of sorrow came peace and the solace of being heard for who you are and who you hope to be, by one who knows you well."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad to hear about the loss of your former student. In times of loss, we are reminded of what is truly important- friendship, connections, community.

    ReplyDelete