Thursday, March 14, 2019

Seeking Inspiration and finding it...

I've been feeling uninspired - it doesn't feel like there is much slice-worthy excitement going on in my life.  I've pushed it, for the last few days, but I haven't felt the exhilaration that sometimes occurs when I find myself on a really rich topic and the writing just rolls.  So I have plugged along, writing and publishing, just like we expect our students to do.  "Push through it," I've said, "You have to keep getting those thoughts down on paper."  Ugh. 

This morning, looking for inspiration, I ended up on the statistics section of my blog.  This has been an interesting page to explore - seeing how many people in different parts of the world were reading my blog, checking how many page-views each post had garnered (one measure of success perhaps?), and looking at the number of comments that posts have received (another measure of success?). 

I ended up on the Stats over "All Time" for my blog - and I love this data!  The graph shows all of these spikes in March for the last ten years, obviously, but it is so interesting looking!  And, there is also a list of the posts that have had the highest pageviews over time - and dropping in to these pages, I found myself giggling and laughing out loud (about the post where my daughter shaved her arms as well as her legs) and weeping, silently, (though the post about how challenging life and work can be.) 

Ultimately, rereading these posts from the last ten years was a glimpse into the past and a reflection of who I was, am, and hope to be.  It was joyful, really, to read and know that I had written those posts and that I liked the writing - and maybe, the writing I struggle to do on a daily basis will be funny, poignant, and meaningful to me at some point in the future. 

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Now that is some data you can trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough. I am not looking forward to this weekend as I am doing my half marathon and will be computer less. Slicing will be a challenge but your blog inspired me to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are 100% right. To look through slices over the year is to dive into the history of our own lives. So satisfying.

    ReplyDelete