Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Playing the Crowd - Building a Team

You never can tell what the agenda might be of the people sitting so calmly around the tables and chatting with their neighbors.  So, while I was excited to see a large audience (for a PTA meeting) I was also a little nervous. 

But, this evening, like other presentations I have done this year, went so well.  Fortunately, most families seem to be excited about my presentation - they want to see what a new building might look like, and they are interested in my thoughts about the possibilities for kids at this new school.  Many are nervous about sending their children to middle school - and I think it must be reassuring for them to hear what it might be like from someone who lives it, even though I can't give them many of the specific details they might think they want - we are a work in progress. 

I love reading the crowd in these presentations - I watch for the nodding heads, and I totally note those people as potential allies.  Some parents sit with their legs and arms crossed, and those I typically have to work hardest on to get a smile or a head nod.  I have a few specific lines that I know will get a giggle or a smile - and I love it when those lines are successful.  Tonight, the group loved the part where I talk about doubling my entire staff, "...and now there are two of us working to get the school ready for your kids!"   I think parents appreciate the fact that we've taken on a large task, obviously, and it is one I take seriously - but, a little self-deprecating humor draws a connection between us as humans - and it hopefully gets us on the same team. 

Because this is what it is all about:  how can we, school staff and parents, work together to ensure that our kids look back on their middle school years as their favorite years ever?  That's my ultimate goal. 


4 comments:

  1. That's a great goal to have! You had me giggling on literally doubling your staff. Sounds like you know how to read a crowd and keep them engaged. Any tips you can offer me? I'm doing a presentation soon and nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Details they might think they want” - favorite line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, keep those good vibes a'coming. The school spirit seems to be growing by the day.

    ReplyDelete