Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tender Moments

Man - just when you think that you have everything under control - something crazy happens, beneath your very nose. My mistake was making the assumption that I had it under control. My solution? Keep laughing.

After being excused from class early due to the professor's still-healing cataract surgery, we were able to have a lovely family dinner tonight. The grilled tuna was delicious, but most delightful was the laughing family conversation around the table. I am dreadfully sad to see my two growing up so quickly, especially since this pre-teen and adolescent period can be very fun! After dinner my ten year-old daughter headed upstairs for her semi-daily shower... and I finished dishes and homework with my thirteen year-old son. As he was wrapping up his algebra problems and I was checking email, I realized that we hadn't seen Rebecca since she headed upstairs.

"Rebecca," I yelled, "what are you doing?"

"I'm almost done," she called back from the misty sounding depths of the bathroom.

Millions of unanswered emails beckoned and I lost myself in evites, replies and facebook chatter. Fifteen minutes later, when I was pulled up for air by my son's thankful, "I'm done!" I realized that we still hadn't seen Rebecca, clean and dressed for bed.

Annoyed now, I hollered, "Rebecca, get down here! This instant!" Sheepishly she trudged down the stairs wrapped, sarong-style, in her bath towel, wet hair hanging down her back, glistening eyelashes blinking innocently. "What have you been doing?" I asked.

"Shaving, Mom," she replied, pulling up the towel to reveal a clean shaven ten year-old leg, bruises and scabs smoothly exposed. Shaving is new to Rebecca - and she seems to enjoy it, despite my exhortations that the more you shave the faster it grows. (Am I contributing to the passing on of an urban myth?)

Big brown eyes looked into mine, and I admired the beautiful eyebrows that framed them. What a lovely girl I have, I thought to myself. She is so mature for her age - really, growing up so fast. What am I going to do? This is going by so quickly.

Then Rebecca said to me, "Hey mom, I also shaved the hair off my arms - they are so smooth!"

All I could think was, ARM STUBBLE???! All I could do was laugh.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I made my husband mute his hockey game to listen to your slice. You have captured this moment perfectly! Isn't life so much fun?
    Thanks for sharing,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Now might be the good time to have the talk about hair growing back thicker and longer after shaving:) (just another urban myth?)

    You gave me a laugh after a long day!

    ReplyDelete