Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Professional Dilemma

What does it mean to be a professional? This is one of the terms that gets tossed around by teachers and other adults ... regularly. But, what exactly does it mean?

Recently, in my ethics for school administrator's class, we were posed this question and given the answer that the principle of professionalism is characterized by accountability. Hmm, that led me to thinking. Does accountability include things like turning paperwork in on time? Attending meetings? What do those things have to do with our day to day job of teaching? Can you be a professional teacher - and not do those things?

In my current role I am classified as a teacher, but I have responsibilities that are similar to those of an administrator. In beginning an intense evaluation process for our school I have asked teachers to complete a survey about our program. When only 30 out of 60 surveys had been returned, I contemplated what my role was in collecting the anonymous survey...somewhat fearfully. Do I demand? Pull my hair out? Assert my authority (such as it is)?

I sent a nice email...that didn't work.

Ultimately, I resorted to using the guilt factor. Face to face, people have a hard time saying "I'm not going to do that." As a teacher/colleague I have no power. I am T-Scale, just like everyone else. Hearkening back to my playground days, if anyone had said "You can't make me do the survey," I would (will?) be sunk. But, is a professional responsible for turning paperwork in on time? Does the act of not turning paperwork in, undermine your role as a professional teacher?

How do we agree on what it means to be a professional?

When it comes right down to it, I think your actions in the classroom are what establish you as a professional in education. However, it is true that teachers are often judged on actions peripheral to the classroom. Would this be true for other occupations that are considered professional? Surgeons? Lawyers? Would this even be a discussion?

What about the fact that many of us have a strict "no late work" policy for which we hold our students accountable? Would we meet the standards that we establish (and hold without bending) for our students? Is this training to prepare students to be professional?

Bottom line...I have paperwork from you that I want. How can I get it, professionally?

4 comments:

  1. My current situation requires me to manage 187 students who are members of 6 classes that I teach. In addition, I have two preps. Of course, within any given work day, there is work that must be left undone. There is simply no way to complete each task required of me. As a result, I prioritize and that means that something like a survey would be left undone. It may be important, but is it essential? Your thoughts about what is or is not professional should be considered within a broader context. My ability to perform in a professional way is determined, to a large degree, by the expectations or demands placed upon me. The question you ask begs the follow up question: Is it professional to ask or demand that a "professional" meet expectations that are not resourced properly? If you want results from your survey, maybe you should ask teachers if they would be willing to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make an excellent point, Pam. It sure sounds like the expectations that are being placed on you are huge - and not professional, in the sense that it makes it very hard for you to do your job. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen,
    Surveys might be best done at the beginning of a faculty meeting as teachers arrive to get to out and done when the group is freshest. There are so many sheets of paper to fill out, too many and if the survey is important, give it a special spot.
    Just a thought,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the freedom to duck things like this that I don't want to do, as I'm a part-timer (ick--hate the sound of that, but there's no jobs no jobs). I think people in my spectrum have admin fatigue with many hoops to jump, mostly not related to the work in the classroom, with its stacks and stacks of grading and lesson prep. This sounds like a tough nut to crack--I'll be interested in seeing the creative way you approach this problem!

    Elizabeth
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete