Monday, March 1, 2010

Alone at Last

After walking Rebecca into Irish Dance class, I practically ran back out the door. All I could think was that I would have my life to myself for the next hour and 30 minutes. As I turned the key in the ignition, my heart swelled and the bonds of motherhood and responsibility were temporarily released. I shifted the van into reverse, cranked up MY favorite radio station, and roared out of the Knights of Columbus parking lot.

Turning left, I contemplated my options. Where was I going to spend these precious 90 minutes? There was a Starbucks on Harrison that I could stop at for a coffee - although, better make it a decaf. Any caffeine after five and I would be writing my first SoL entry until the wee hours. How about the Panera on Route 7? That is comfortable for writers - free wi fi... hence there isn't much pressure to leave. And, guiltily, it occurred to me that there was a Safeway close - this thought the consequence of the weekend's postponed shopping trip - and lack of peanut butter for lunches. However, I was reluctant to get out of the car.

Obeying the 25 miles per hour speed limit, usually so hard because we're often cutting it close, was easy this afternoon. Alone, with no one expecting me anywhere soon, driving slowly was part of the joy. I found myself looking more closely at the houses I was passing, admiring the varied architecture - steep roofs, brick walls, lovely large windows and wrap-around porches. Lovely homes were marred only by the remaining snirt piles (some snow, mostly dirt) that mound the curbs and stark branches traumatically wrenched from solid trunks and dragged to the curb for pick up.

Pulling out of the residential neighborhood, a neon red and white Safeway sign glowers at me - reminding me of my responsibilities and pulling me from my thoughts of driving away. I swerve into the parking lot and turn down the music. "What did they want for dinner?" I ask myself. Surrounded again by my family (Patrick wanted Hot Pockets, Rebecca - bubbly water), I immerse myself in the shopping routine and anticipate the pick up and family dinner. The few minutes of peace were delightful - rejuvenating - but I am excited to return to the K of C to pick up my girl.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Ellen. I had a similar experience today--moments of peace turned into the obligatory trip to the grocery store. I grabbed a cup of coffee on the way (decaf of course) and treated walking through the aisles as if it were the alone time I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love grocery shopping as a metaphor for caring fro your family.

    This is going to be a GREAT month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sign of a good mom . . . so thankful for a few moments to be alone, so ready to be surrounded again by her family. Thanks for opening the door into your life. Looking forward to reading more throughout the month.
    Happy writing,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snirt! Now I know what to call that stuff, thanks!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ellen, as I read I pictured the only K of C I know. It's a beautiful old white building up a long drive that I always imagined was someone's fine home. It has a modern addition. My daughter has attended dances for Special Olympians there. Then you mentioned Starbucks and Harrison and route 7 and Safeway. I realized it might be the same K of C I know. The shopping center at Harrison is one of my favorite places to meander while my daughter is at acting class. Mom's get their quiet time whenever they can, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the lovely comments guys - amazing how motivating that was! Five comments! Wow.

    ReplyDelete