Friday, March 12, 2010

A Fabulous Friday

In the preparation for a crazy weekend, I had a wonderful Friday afternoon with Rebecca. We went shopping and it was fascinating to see this interesting young girl share her excitement (and mine) about crafts, clothes, and shoes!

We began the evening at our local craft store, Michael's, a veritable feast of crafty items located around the interior walls of the store, while bunches of silk roses adorn the center of the store. First stop, the feather boa section, to select a deep pink boa for my future sister-in-law's bridal shower tomorrow. Rebecca carefully analyzed the different types of boas...one had many more feathers...and she selected the mulberry colored boa after much agonizing. Moving on, we encountered the wedding section, and Rebecca recommened to me that we stay away from the T-shirts with "Bride" printed in diamond-like sequins, but the one labeled "Flower Girl" might be okay for her own use. Finally, we ended up near the check out and we came upon caps made of felt that represent different animals...Rebecca, who had been so serious, grabbed the donkey cap and said, "Mom, we can't give the cousins this hat. They might see it and say the word, A S S!"

Next we moved on to the local clothing store. "Oh, Mom," she said, "there are some great things in here." And Rebecca proceeded to select items for me to think about wearing that were sometimes silly, and sometimes serious. The long purple evening gown with the silver bodice (really a silver bra attached to a purple skirt) was hysterical and both of us enjoyed a big giggle in the dressing room. The clothes that she selected for me were very well coordinated. I was surprised and excited for her...maybe she would enjoy clothes more than I do.

Best of all was the knowledge that Rebecca and I had had some time to spend together that we truly enjoyed. As we got back into the car to head home she said, "Mom, this was a really great evening. Let's do it again."

"I'd love to," I said, "soon!"

2 comments:

  1. I remember my sister and I training my niece on the finer elements of "shopping with the girls." She came around a bit when we told her that shopping often involves a meal together. Rebecca seems to be a natural! What fun the two of you will have in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete