Friday, March 26, 2010

It is never easy to hear that a former student has died. On the few occasions that it has happened, I find myself contemplating the young person as a middle school student and reflecting on how much hope and potential each had when they were with us. Unfortunately, all of the kids I can remember who have died struggled academically in middle school, and usually that was symptomatic of other life situations that they dealt with.

This particular child was a gifted runner - he might have had the possibility to be a great runner - and he was a terrific challenge in the classroom. The last time I saw him he was working at a grocery store in my neighborhood, in the fruit and vegetable section. We glanced up at each other, probably over the apples, and I glanced shyly back down at the bin. I never think they will remember me. When I looked back up he was smiling at me, "Didn't you?" he asked.

"Teach at Jefferson Middle School? Yep, I still do!" I completed his unfinished thought. "Wow, how are you?"

"I'm great," he said, "working here until I find something else. Maybe I'll go to school." An irrepressible smile shone from his twenty-something, youthful face.

"It is great to see you," and as I always say, selfishly, I guess, "come back and see us at TJ, sometime. There are plenty of people who would love to see you! Good luck."

"I'll see you," he replied, and grinned, looking more and more like the seventh grader who had run circles around me.

Wish I remembered more. Devastated to hear about the loss. Wondering, what I could have done differently.

4 comments:

  1. What a sad feeling. News like this is always such a shock. Your memory of him is a nice tribute and gives glimpses of his personality in that one short moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a sad experience - you suddenly remember small encounters from many years ago, and wonder at the enormous pain this young person must have been experiencing in order to make this lonely decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote a moving piece with your feelings showing. Thanks for sharing. Becky E

    ReplyDelete