Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Safe Haven?

The hum of the air conditioning seemed so loud in the almost empty building. A rhythm reverberated, created by the ancient piece of machinery that we rely on still to heat and cool our building. Occasionally a door shuts down the hall and I remember that I am not alone in the school. The hallway lights flicker and go dark as the custodial staff complete my section of the building and move on. I am warm and safe, the school at night a cocoon, protecting me from the harsh elements. I wonder if my students feel this safe during the day?

3 comments:

  1. When former students return to visit, as a few did today, they always look around my room with interest. They note the changes and comment on what has remained the same. I hope it's because they feel some ownership. We work hard to give them that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Ellen. There is a nice peace when school is not in session...
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm
    Good question to end with - that of sense of safety with our students -- I read this as if it were a poem, by the way. It was lovely.
    Kevin

    http://dogtrax.edublogs.org/

    ReplyDelete