Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The last Irish Dance parade of the year occured tonight - in preparation for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow. Rebecca and her dance classmates gamely gathered in the beautiful evening light to share their love of Irish Dance with whomever could come out and watch. Fortunately it was a gorgeous night, especially when compared with the rainy weather she danced through on Sunday. 55 degrees and a slow sunset encouraged families with children to gather curbside to watch the festivities.

The police always go first, I've learned. They set the tone for the parade with their roaring motorcycle motors and the intricate passing and acceleration moves they make. Tonight's parade, the police were followed by four Ancient Hibernians. They loooked pretty spry to me - in their cream-colored Irish sweaters holding up the US flag and the flag of Ireland. Originally, they were to be followed by the mounted police...until the fearless dance teacher raised an eyebrow and pointed at the girls' soft leather shoes. The horses were held, and the girls were waved out of their staging area.

At this point, Matt, Patrick and I were going to head to the end of the parade to catch the sights and Rebecca when she was done. However, Mrs. James caught my eye. Waving the banner towards me she called, "Parents, parents! I need some volunteers to carry the Irish Dance School Banner." I ducked my head, but not quick enough. The round end of the banner pole was thrust in my hand, and Mrs. James' quick smile persuaded me not to argue. Marching in the parade hadn't been part of my plan. Another parent was volunteered to hold the other end of the banner, and the two of us realized that we were both dressed in green...

So, after the Ancient Hibernians marched two middle-aged mothers carrying the banner for the School of Irish Dance. Behind us came the car blasting the girls' Irish dance music - and then the girls and Mrs. James. Because we were the very beginning of the parade and it was beginning to get dark, many people seemed to glance quizzically at us - and then cheer for the girls. A few people snapped photos, and I couldn't help but wonder why. Fortunately, the parade was only 6 blocks long - so after 15 minutes we were done....one hour and thirty minutes waiting for a 15 minute parade. I'm not complaining, though. It was awesome to be first and done so quickly! So, I can cross another thing off my "Life's To Do List," I have marched in a parade, and it was fun! Erin Go Bragh!

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure you didn't volunteer? That seems a little out of character...

    ReplyDelete