Tuesday, March 9, 2010

On Becoming an Administrator

"Know thyself," she said, "that is the key to being a successful administrator." Wow - I can't think of more powerful words to describe the foundation necessary to be an excellent administrator, and yet, it caused me to pause. Do I know myself? Am I, would I be ready to be an assistant principal or principal?

There are some things that I know about myself and students. First, I believe that school should be a safe, happy place for students, no matter what is going on in the rest of their world. While most would agree that this should be true for an elementary school, I believe that it is even more important to create this safe, happy place for middle school students. Second, I believe that students should be supported in mastering the skills associated with being a good student. Recording homework, doing homework, being organized, studying for tests, writing to learn, reading to learn, thinking, andresearching, these are skills that are not typically taught in elementary school that must be taught in middle school. In my opinion, these skills are even more vital than the content that many departments and teachers consider to be our priority. Finally, middle school students should be given the opportunity to recover and learn from mistakes. How else do we learn but from our mistakes? In these high stakes testing times, often students get (and many teachers and parents give) the message that they cannot make mistakes. I think this destroys our fundamental mission, to build life-long learners.

I am less comfortable establishing what I believe about working with staff....although, having said that, don't I want staff to feel safe and happy in the school in which they work? Don't I want to support staff in making sure they are prepared with the skills associated with excellent teaching and learning? Don't I want to create an environment that supports life-long learning in my teachers and growth in teaching skills? I do.

I don't know myself as an educational leader yet. I imagine that the most powerful learning experience will come on-the-job. But I appreciate the principal that sat before the class this evening and reminded us that the job of an administrator depends on one's foundational beliefs - that, and an incredible work ethic will help you be successful.

How does one do this and have a family? Haven't figured that one out yet. Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment