Monday, March 22, 2010

The Story of Stuff!

Considering that we are almost in April - it is time to think about how (and if) we celebrate Earth Day on April 22nd. In researching along these lines, I came upon a disturbing, yet incredible video called The Story of Stuff. In this video, Annie Leonard shares her research about humans, and Americans in particular, and our struggle with over-consumption of goods. She does an excellent job explaining the process of turning raw materials into consumables and the impact of this process on the environment. Then, she explores how the consumables move into the stores, our homes, and into landfills everywhere. One of the most shocking facts she shared was that after six months the items that we consumers have purchased have all (except 1%) been trashed!



Another eye-opening piece of information (for this naive person) that Annie emphasized was the idea that "big brother" has been encouraging and sending us messages about consumerism and value. Intellectually, I know this. I have taught advertising techniques and supported students as they analyze the messages that television and magazines regularly send - however, I truly did not consider the insidiousness of this. Leonard reminds us that our US government is hand in hand with big business in America. The agenda that Big Business supports is consumerism... Then she shared the example of President Bush telling us in early post 9-11 days that what Americans could do to help recover from this tragedy was SHOP! I get it, jump start the economy - but at what cost?



Leonard discusses the cost in a straightforward, engaging way. I couldn't turn it off. I know I am a consumer - and yet, I am bothered by the must-have attitude of our society. Thinking about the pervasiveness of the consumeristic messages in our society, I cannot help but reflect on my children...they need to hear the message - they need to hear The Story of Stuff.

2 comments:

  1. How can we reconcile these ideas with our annual basket raffle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point! Make the contents edible?

    ReplyDelete