Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Needed a Good Cry!

To the people who know me, this will come as no surpise. My tear ducts leak on a fairly regular basis. The sappiest commercials - from Hallmark to Oreo (you know the one - the dad and son dipping their oreo cookies in milk, awww!) can cause me to tear up! Most often, though, I cry in situations of stress. This evening, the pent up worry about work, school, parenting, being a friend and a sibling, all overflowed in a torrent of words and tears. Fortunately, my husband was home and a willing listener, otherwise you might be getting a different slice. Recovering, I got to thinking about how I often feel so much more relaxed after I have had the cathartic cry. There is a physical (maybe chemical) release that the tears trigger, and afterward I feel able to handle the challenges that face me. All this to remind myself, that keeping things inside, wrapped up tight, is no way to handle stress - it has got to get out...talking about it is one way - crying about it, another. Trader Joe's chocolate covered rasberry sticks work pretty well, too!

1 comment:

  1. We all need a good cry every now and then to release all the emotions we feel. I too have been known to cry because of the amount of stress building up. Boy do I feel more relaxed after a good cry session!

    ReplyDelete