Saturday, March 23, 2013

Spring Fever

I spent five hours detailing my kitchen today.  I only got half of it really cleaned, but that half is sparkly.

Cleaning isn't my first choice of activity any day, but that is especially true on the first Saturday of spring break.  When I got home from breakfast I began picking up and putting away random items that had been dropped in the kitchen, then washed last night's dishes, then wiped down the counters.  I realized I was a more than a little committed when I had removed everything from the counter top and was spraying the back splash with cleaner.  Grease marks came off the walls, my collection of glass cruets were soaped and washed, and even the toaster oven got a shake down.  Everywhere I turned there was another place to remove dust, unidentified crusties, or a layer of grease. How could I have missed this mess for the last few months? 

I am sure this burst of energy and motivation is a product of spring.  The birds are building new nests, the buds on the trees are peeping through, and the fish in the pond on the deck are emerging from their winter stasis. It was still freezing when I woke - but the high today is supposed to be 55 degrees!   Emerging from the cocoon of winter has caused me to subconsciously re-examine my world and refresh my nest in preparation for the season change.    

Four windows and a glass door, washed inside and out, mean that I will be able to clearly see spring move into our neighborhood.  I'll save the other half of the kitchen for tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. What an enterprising project. I need to do this next week during my Spring Break but I doubt it will spontaneously happen as it did for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You worked hard today! Bet it feels good to have everything so sparkling clean. We started spring break too, but a foot of snow has fallen since last night, and it's not over yet. Yikes! I'm doing my taxes instead of cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a happy spring break! I think I will muster up the will to clean or do my taxes this spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got a lot done! Enjoy the half that sparkles today. I had good intentions of doing a little more thorough cleaning today, but as the day wore on, the cleaning got less and less.

    ReplyDelete