Monday, March 4, 2013

Managing Expectations?

I worked really hard today - and I'll have to tomorrow as well - to keep my hopes realistic.  I walked into the office this morning and the first piece of info tossed my way came in the form of a couple of questions:  "Ready for the snow this week? Think we'll get the day off?" 

I was flabbergasted.  If you read my post yesterday you'll know I was wrapped in my own grumpy world, so much so that I never even turned on the radio or the TV for news.  The potential for snow came as a surprise.  Hold on, I said to myself, don't get your hopes up for a big snow.  Those hopes've been dashed over and over again in the last few years. 

Around lunchtime the kids began to bubble.  "Did you hear about snow? Pajamas inside out and backwards Tuesday night! Ice cubes flushed down the toilet, as many as you can!"  What other weird weather myths can we implement to guarantee snow? 

I'm not going to let myself be disappointed.  The snow never comes, it's not going to happen.  There will be no snow day. 

This evening on the way home (I was glued to the station that does news and weather on the 8's) the radio commentator said this was the biggest predicted snowstorm in the last two years!  We could get more snow Wednesday than in the last two years total!  That's not saying much: the Metro area is predicted to get 3-7 inches.  Here in DC that can put a hold on just about everything.  If this were Colorado or Upstate New York, they'd laugh at that measly amount; they get 3-7 regularly during the winter - and the kids still go to school.  But here? 

Race you to the grocery to pick up toilet paper, hot chocolate, milk and eggs. I've already got wine - enough for the neighborhood.   Ooh - I'm starting to get excited. As soon as it starts to snow, come on over.


2 comments:

  1. You know a snow day means using another day to play catch up:). It is nice to have an unexpected day to do whatever you choose. I hope it happens so you can enjoy the freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that writing about it will jinx the probability, right? :) I JUST told myself, "GO TO SLEEP! If you stay up reading blog posts, you will FOR SURE have to be at work right on time tomorrow morning, but if you go to bed early, you will get the call to sleep in!" :) Happens every time, so I guess, tonight, I am ruining it for all of the teachers in my district. Happy snow to you!!

    ReplyDelete