Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Just the Two of Us?

My husband and I snuck out of the house this morning in the middle of the snowstorm, leaving both our teenage kids sleeping contentedly in their beds.  We had both been given the day off, a welcome treat, and he wanted to go to the bookstore - I can never turn down a trip to the bookstore!   Leaving our house was no big deal - there was just a little snow on the ground. 

We ran our couple of errands, including a peaceful browse through the bargain books, and then we headed back to the house.  Walking in the door, both kids still asleep and unaware that we had been gone, I was struck by the fact that as our kids get older and move on my husband and I will do more and more of these kinds of errands with just each other.  I was sad for a minute - they have grown up so fast - but then I was relieved.  I like hanging out with Matt.  When the kids are gone, we'll have a good time!

5 comments:

  1. Love this!! I am enjoying my first snow day in two years today, and have had a similar musing. My husband and I are home today with our 17 year old, only. Used to be, snow meant lots and lots of family activities...now, quite different - but, thankfully, still very sweet. Lovely idea to slip away to a bookstore together! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun to spend some time at the bookstore during a snow day. Blissful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy snow day! That sounds like it's off to a good start. And browsing for books is always a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a happy slice, Ellen! I can't imagine a better way to kill time while two teenagers sleep the morning away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen, being on the opposite end, with very little children, I simply can not fathom this day when I could leave and my kids would be sleeping!! Yet at the same time, like you said we get so used to our kids needing us that we forget that we'll enjoy the time with our husband.

    I feel happy to know that others find so much joy and solitude by browsing the aisles of the bookstore!

    Enjoy the rest of your week!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete