Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Parents are Great People!

I come from a large family - five kids - and as each of us partnered up, the family has grown.  Add 6 grandkids, and family gatherings take on a whole new decibel level.  So, what I have found is that at those family get-togethers you don't spend much quality time with any one person.  Instead, we have a whole lot of funtastic group time. The "other half's" fit in very well - and a good time is had by all. 

We haven't had a family gathering for a while.  Yesterday the texts began flying back and forth about who was bringing ham for Easter, scalloped potatoes, or the traditional bunny cake.  I realized that I was going to miss this year's Easter family gathering, as my little family will be at an Irish Dance competition for the weekend.  I'm so bummed - but I was especially disappointed as I wasn't going to see my mom and dad - who only live 5 miles away, but whom we rarely see. 

So, I invited mom and dad for dinner - it's unusual that it was just them and us - and we had a wonderful time.  It's really nice to spend time with your parents as an adult!  I need to commit to doing that more - they are great people. 

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing how quickly time goes. You can live only five miles away from people who are important to you, yet see them so rarely. If you are like me, you plan to see them quite a bit more than what actually happens. So good that you made this special effort. Good luck at the dance competition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started spending more one on one time with my family members. Managing my big family takes more energy than I have, but I think it is great you have the opportunity to have both.

    ReplyDelete