Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Breathing Fire

I own so many delicious books.  Some are just trashy novels, but they brought escape in their interesting setting and romantic plot lines. (I have shelves of those ones with covers that cause my mother to blush.) Many are historical fiction, combining my love of history with the draw of a good story.  One standing bookcase is filled with science fiction and fantasy.  The science fiction is mostly my husbands, but I read it as well.  The fantasy is mostly mine - and I love it.

Within my reach, as I sit here typing, are at least four fantasy novels about dragons:  Dragon Riders of Pern, the Anne McCaffrey classic, Eragon, by the young writer Christopher Paolini, Dragon Rider, by Cornelia Funke, and Victory of Eagles, one in the series by Naomi Novik about her Napoleonic dragon, Temeraire.  All of these novelists were brilliant at imagining the relationships between dragons and their riders and creating incredibly realistic worlds in which the dragons and humans co-exist.  I love the character that the writer's imbue their dragons with - ancient intelligence, whimsy and humor, and integrity - interestingly, most dragons i've read reflect those traits. 

Any other good dragons out there?


2 comments:

  1. One of the things I love about my Kindle is how the cover doesn't detract from what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly have not enjoyed fantasy but my sons do. I like how you have found the realistic parts and integrity. I would not have thought that would have been so. You make me want to try reading one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete