Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Still Looking for the Silver Lining

I was anticipating the rush of talking to other people who love to teach, the enthusiasm, the way eyes light up when they talk about what has worked for them in the classroom. This excitement is infectious - at the end of a recruiting trip I always feel buoyed with positivity about my wonderful students, the amazing school at which I work, and the school district that supports us.

So, on Sunday night when I checked my calendar, my heart leapt just a little in anticipation of my trips to Virginia State University on Tuesday and to George Mason University on Wednesday. Both recruiting trips would include interviewing potential candidates and persuading young education majors that working in Arlington County was a goal they should shoot for!

On Monday, after coordinating calendars with the whole admin team, we realized that there would be no administrators in the building on Wednesday.  My heart sank when I realized that I should probably stay at school - one missed opportunity for energy and revitalization.

Today, Tuesday, I collected the recruiting suitcase, checked the map, and my colleague and I hit the road for VSU.  Two and a half hours later we rolled into Petersburg, excited for the opportunity to explore VSU and meet some future educators.  After driving through the beautiful campus, we headed into the Expo Center to set up our booth.

"Career expo for educators, today?" asked the man at the front desk,  "I don't know anything about it."  Much shuffling of papers occurred and then phone calls to various offices.  Finally at Career Services we heard, "Didn't you get the email we sent?  It was postponed until next Tuesday!"

Seriously?  No recruiting today either?  And a five hour road trip?

I'm a little bummed.

6 comments:

  1. Ugh...I can't imagine having to drive all the way to Petersburg for absolutely nothing. At least it was a beautiful day for a drive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm bummed for you! I do hope you'll be able to make that trip next week. My fingers are crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh bummer, hopefully you found something to make the day worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man!! Hmmm...think hard, there has to be a silver lining somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, does this mean you're hiring?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! I hate that when it happens! Hopefully you had a good conversation on the drive!

    ReplyDelete