Monday, March 21, 2016

Yes, I Read the Tidying Book, But...

Spring break is the opportunity for a Spring Cleaning...and I warned my family, "There will be drawers pulled out and cleaned that haven't been cleaned in years!"  Saturday I was very productive...I sorted through file drawers and children's cubbies, throwing away years of accumulated school papers, dentist bills, and other detritus from 12 years of living in the same house.

Sunday I vowed (out loud, to my husband) that I would attack my walk-in closet.  When we built the addition with the larger master bedroom, two walk-in closets, and master bath I was thrilled to have so much space.  However, in the last twelve years I think I have mostly moved items into the addition and rarely taken anything out. There is a goldfish metaphor in here somewhere...My closet is full of clothes, folded, hanging and artfully draped; as well, I store all of our fancy clothing (long dresses, tuxedos, and dress coats) and my personal files from years gone by.  Finally, I do keep two large bins full of possible gifts - you know, those gifts you buy because they are great deals or perfect for someone, and then you forget about them?  I have done that lots, unfortunately, and the result takes up a large section of this small room.  

So I walked into the closet, cleared the artfully draped clothing from the floor and put it in laundry baskets. Then I sat down on the step stool, overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff that I would have to touch multiple times in order to clear any space, and not knowing where to start. Despite my good intentions (finding dresses to donate, giving away clothes I don't wear to a better home, and just throwing away stuff) I crept out to my book found my reading glasses and escaped from the clutter for another day.  

11 comments:

  1. Are we sisters? "I crept out to my book"- sounds just like me. Often I have good intentions- you know, just a little break to get motivated again...just a chapter...Ha! usually I keep going til I finish a book when it is break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Related for sure! Thanks for the positive feedback!

      Delete
  2. The perfect choice. The clutter can wait. Enjoy a good book whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! That's what I did, too!! I can read, even with clutter screaming all around me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! That's what I did, too!! I can read, even with clutter screaming all around me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard Heloise, I think, once say- do this when you are angry. That's when you will really get rid of things.
    A slice we can all relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard Heloise, I think, once say- do this when you are angry. That's when you will really get rid of things.
    A slice we can all relate to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious, because I cleaned out my bedroom today when I was steaming mad at my kid! I'll vouch for it!

      Delete
  7. I totally understand!! It took one of my girlfriends coming over to help me take care of my walk in closet.. Some wine/beer and some company and direction helps..

    ReplyDelete