Friday, March 25, 2016

Remembering The Seventies

"Ok - I was alive in The Seventies," I admitted to my daughter, "but I was in elementary school during most of it - so I don't remember much."  

"Mom, then you have to watch That Seventies Show, just to remember."  She clicked on Netflix and there appeared many, many seasons of the show.  She's a real stickler for starting from the beginning of a series, so Rebecca selected Season 1, Episode 1, and she, Matt and I hunkered down around her computer screen eating leftovers for dinner and grinning at each other.

And, there were some things that came back to me about being alive in the Seventies:  
  • Big collars - everyone had them.  I had an orange shirt that I adored, which had a huge white collar attached!  They don't look as bad as I remembered.  
  • Hair that flipped.  I remember my Dorothy Hamill haircut - loved that, should have kept it.  Instead, I got cool in seventh grade and bought a curling iron to help my bangs become wings...Why take straight hair and try to curl it?  Why only the bangs?  
  • Corduroy pants of many colors, with wide legs.  I loved the noise they made as I swished to school. 
  • Kodak huts in the parking lots of strip malls where you could drop your film off to be developed.  My cousin worked in one of those and we thought it was the coolest job!
  • And, family dinners - despite the fact that both parents worked on that show, they managed to sit down for family dinners on a regular basis.  That's something that I remember well, Mom in the kitchen and all of us kids helping to get dinner ready.  It's also something that we have been able to enjoy with our kids.  
After a couple of episodes and dinner eaten, Rebecca headed out to hang with friends, Matt headed upstairs to read and snooze, and I sat down to enjoy a few more episodes of That Seventies Show.




  

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your recollections! I had totally forgotten those photo huts.

    Gosh, I loved the seventies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten those photo huts, too! I guess they have changed all of them into coffee huts. Plus, I had that orange shirt with the white collar! Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I remember all of those things too well. I had that Dorothy Hamill cut in 7th grade! What wonderful memories. And, really, you will get hooked on That Seventies Show. :-)

    ReplyDelete