Tuesday, March 15, 2016

A Local Hero - and a lucky opportunity

I'm missing the classroom this evening - it happens fairly often.  But today it's because I had the privilege of hearing a presentation by a wonderfully entertaining local man, Dr. Alfred Taylor, who shared with us a book he's written about local heroes of color from one of the oldest neighborhoods in Arlington.  The premise of his discussion today was that students need to hear the "stories" of the amazing people in their families and communities - not just the stories of successful sports stars and musicians.  He emphasized that families these days don't necessarily spend time telling these stories - and that schools should.  The best role models for students are people they can relate to and "see" in the communities we live in.

I totally came away from this presentation jazzed about getting students to explore their communities and then write the stories of the people they would like to celebrate as local heroes.  Can't you just see a unit or a workshop in which kids are interviewing, organizing, drafting and revising local hero stories?

Interestingly, this local author also suggested that we each should be writing our autobiographies, because if we don't, someone else is going to write our obituaries...and they may not highlight the things you think are important.

So many possibilities, and golden lines came from his presentation.  Feeling lucky to have heard him.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! I wish I could have heard that speech! I love the idea of using local heroes! I never thought to write my own autobiography... I don't know if I could do that. Are you going to start yours????

    ReplyDelete