Friday, March 4, 2016

A Troubling Glimpse

Schools and hospitals give a glimpse into an interesting cross section of people in our world.  Today I got to experience another great cross section in the DMV.  Despite the fact that the DMV has gone computerized and systematized...there was a heck of a lot of waiting around time, and watching the people around me come and go was a fascinating look into many different worlds.

The family next to me, with the two young girls who ran around freely (which I envied) and screamed at a b# the whole time (which I resented) were obviously from Eastern Europe some where - and from my observations they were very concerned about the wife passing the vision test for her license. She returned to the funny binoculars multiple times and repeated the random letters over and over.  I don't know how that ended - but I hope it ended ok.

A number of teenagers were there, obviously, to get their permit or license.  They continued to glance around, under long bangs, with a slight aura of fear around them.  They were easy to pick out as they were accompanied by a middle-aged mom, streaks of grey hair just beginning to show - looking more nervous than their child.  This look, I can relate to.

Finally, it seemed almost every DMV worker looked exhausted.  The woman I spoke to first was pleasant, but too tired to make small talk - her half-hearted smiles suggested that I might have gotten more response earlier in the day.  Three o'clock on a Friday afternoon was not going to get me any favors.  To cap the day, the final employee that I spoke to was not just unpleasant - she was nasty - and the bad news she shared, with a snarky "You Failed" was devastating.  This is one of the hardest jobs in the country?  And, really, that's how you are going to pass on bad news?

I do enjoy experiences that allow me the opportunity to look outside the "traditional" windows of my world.This experience encourages my appreciation of the world around me, and the people who keep smiling through the crap that continues to be thrown at them.

Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. I could people watch for hours. People are just so interesting--and then the guessing of their stories keeps me entertained for more hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to the smiling people! I do appreciate those who can smile and be pleasant when they don't really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome that you recognized the pitch of the kids' screaming!

    ReplyDelete