Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Even in Australia!

You know the book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day?  Today was that day for me.  For years I have read that book to students (middle school) and we all have been able to relate - Judith Viorst's language is simple, yet strong; her message - bad days happen, anywhere, so transferable. My seventh and eighth graders have loved that read aloud, and I've benefited from reading the story over and over again.

So tonight I'm going to pull out my autographed copy of Alexander and reinvigorate myself with the trials and travails of my favorite character.  No, thank goodness, there is no gum in my hair.  I didn't have lima beans for dinner, cuz I hate limas - and there has been no kissing on my escapist TV program.  I did deal with fat lips, fists and calling parents; bad language, disgruntled adults, and challenging children.  The copy machine may have been a problem. I think I hit send on my first response, rather than delete, and I lectured to a group of exhausted teachers - never a good PD option.

Today was a tough day; but, it is reassuring to know that some days are like that, even in Australia.

3 comments:

  1. This is why I love using picture books as mentor texts for writing! Great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's true. We are fortunate that we get a fresh start every day. We can make it up and make it better. Enjoy tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An autographed copy? That's exciting! Here's to better days ahead!

    ReplyDelete