Saturday, March 5, 2016

Snuggling

I miss my kids being little - luckily I get to spend time with my nieces and nephews who are all between 0 and 10.  Last night I helped my younger sister (who has the flu) and her three kids with the evening transition from daycare to bed.  These things helped me get my little kid fix:

-neatly organizing plates with miniature pancakes, small pieces of banana, and  bowls of yogurt in the middle
-pouring sippie cups of milk
-highchairs and bibs
-warm skinny bodies pulled up onto my lap, my arms wrapped around waists and under legs
-reading books out loud, making funny voices, and asking silly questions
-little fingers connecting the freckle dots on my hands while listening
-smiling faces, turned to me, lit up in shared enjoyment of the pictures and words
-sleepy eyes drifting downward, snapping open when the book is finished
-pleas for more "book, book!"

In the car on the way home my heart just ached for my own little ones and the hugs and snuggles and books we shared over the years. Opening the back door, I found two teenagers and their dad arguing the finer points of some obscure issue that was important to them.  We gathered around the kitchen table, plates in our hands, the nineteen year-old perched on the back of his chair, the sixteen year-old with her feet draped across my lap, enjoying the brief opportunity to "snuggle" together.  

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! With a 13 year old and a 9 year old, I find myself missing those days when they were little. How wonderful that you are able to relive those days to a degree with your nieces and nephews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! With a 13 year old and a 9 year old, I find myself missing those days when they were little. How wonderful that you are able to relive those days to a degree with your nieces and nephews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to hold onto our last months of snuggling before my son is "too old." I snuggle in the nursery at church to scratch this itch too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I wasn't blessed with my own children, these are the moments that I cherish with my nieces and nephews. Thank you for sharing a slice of your family, so I could remember how thankful I am for mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your post! I am a grandma, so I get my cuddling from my three grandkids. Nothing better than spending time with them. You have inspired me to jot a note down for a future Slice of Life post....maybe next time I babysit. They will grow up fast and I don't want to miss those cuddling moments. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the juxtaposition of the two scenes, both filled with so much love. And Kid Fix list is just great! Love these ordinary moments that really are the most important moments in life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being an aunt is fun, super fun- for all the reasons you described! I miss my young nieces and nephews in the same way you miss your young ones, but find the older version of them is pretty fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet, sweet post. I love snuggling and my oldest is kind of growing out of that at 10. :( Here's to more snuggles for you even if it's just leg snuggles. :)

    ReplyDelete