Friday, March 11, 2016

Feeling Thankful

I haven't felt myself since I had the flu.  I returned to work determined, though, to "pretend" myself to feeling normal, a common coping mechanism for adults everywhere.  My pretending ended this afternoon when, leaving an IEP meeting close to the end of the school day, I knew for sure that I had to get home, and fast.  I was nauseous, sweaty and light-headed; I felt like I was going to faint.

Speedwalking to my office, I brushed by the large number of boys sitting there, each looking with wide, dreading eyes at me, let my AP colleague know I wasn't feeling well, and I dashed back toward the main entrance.  Because I'm a rule follower, I stopped by our head secretary to let her know I was leaving, and in the nicest way possible she informed me that I wasn't leaving the building and getting into my car feeling the way I was.  She sat me down in her visitor's chair, told me she was getting the nurse, and then proceeded to have my husband called to pick me up.  

What is it about having other people take care of us that is so hard?  I have to admit, when she returned and told me Matt was on the way my eyes filled with tears. When two other people on staff volunteered to get my car home, I was floored.  We educators spend so much time taking care of  other people, it sometimes feels difficult to let others take care of us.  

This evening, recovering from dehydration, I feel so thankful for the wonderful group who took care of me today (and do so many days.)  

2 comments:

  1. Well, I feel a little ridiculous for failing to notice this when I was talking to you! Rest up this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another story of work pushing us to our limits. It's no surprise to read that you'd prioritize work duties over your health. I'm glad to know that you're resting, home, and comfy enough to reflect on the goodness that came from a crumby day. That says a lot about you :)

    ReplyDelete