Monday, March 16, 2020

Seeking the Silver Lining

At the end of the school year when staff sends students home for an extended period of time, we celebrate with high kicks, hugs, waves and smiles.  Almost as soon as the kids are gone, the staff joyfully heads out, and our summer begins with the anticipation of fun in the sun and these important people returning in the fall ready to begin the cycle of school over again. 

Today, as I said goodbye to both my school building and some of the staff who work there with me year-round, I was struck by how sad I felt.  Right now, for so many of us, there is no anticipation of  when we might get back.  The unknown stretches out in front of us, and it's inky dark - we can't see anything at all.

And yet, as I walked into my home, my grown kids and their significant others were sitting at the kitchen table playing a game and eating snacks, while my husband cooked dinner.  While the future looks dark, it's important to seek the silver lining and strive to find joy in our daily experiences.  This glimpse of my grown young ones enjoying each other's company, playing games, and happy at home around our kitchen table was heartening.

Gonna focus on the day to day. 


8 comments:

  1. I feel so hopeful reading slices like this one- so many of the TWT community are looking for the light and the blessings in this time. I know what you mean about the abrupt goodbye. I felt like I was especially grumpy to my students on Friday (was so stressed about all of this and other personal things) and now I don't know when I will see them again. I am sad about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard right now but I agree with you. It is important to try to focus on the good right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The contrast between your leaving school today and in the past on the last day of a school year and then further contracted by your kitchen table... so much to feel in this post. Thanks for sharing. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in our building today to retrieve some plants, and it was sad there too. But we will adjust. We have to, don't we?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, today was a sad day for many. Lots of emotions as we said goodbye, wondering how soon we will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad the family is there to hang out with. Enjoy the downtime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right, no high kicks this time around--but maybe when school resumes. In the meantime, you're right to focus on the bright moments one day at at time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the warmth and light at the end of this post. This is the perfect time to count our blessings instead of sheep.

    ReplyDelete