Monday, March 30, 2020

Compromise

There are two topics I have religiously sliced on: my daughter's experience during the month of March as an Irish Dancer and my husband's battle to protect our backyard pond from the family of raccoons who love it!  As we get down to the last two days of slicing for this month, I have to make sure I touch on these topics that I love; tradition, you know. 

Since our beagle passed away our backyard pond has become a favorite watering hole for a little family of three raccoons.  It would be great if they came to just drink, but they seem to really love the taste of the plant roots that thrive in the pond - and they dig and pull them out, generally leaving a mess behind them. 

This year's plan of defense included a black grate overlaying the pond - which the pond plants can grow up through.  It's a modification and improvement on last year's mini-cheval de frise protecting the raccoon's access to the edge. 

This morning, my husband noticed that there was some muck pulled up on one side of the pond.  Yep - the raccoons dabbled in the pond again last night.  But, those little hands couldn't do much than reach down and grab a few shoots.  Matt decided that it's a little sacrifice to make. They'll take a few shoots, we will keep the rest of the pond intact. 
     

5 comments:

  1. Everybody wins! Just the right solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this excitely because thisis our first spring with a pond!! As Brian's b-day present, he placed an online order for $150 worth of plants. Yikes...I wonder now if they will be safe from 4-legged creatures. Thanks for this story which shows the trials of pond-keepers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiring generosity! I can picture their "little hands" grasping at their consolation prize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to have challenges that force you outside of the box!

    ReplyDelete