Sunday, March 29, 2020

Flown the Coop

It's hard to know if this is the cukoo's nest I am living in, or if it is our new normal.  Regardless, I think we are, officially, empty-nesters.  Today, our daughter (child #2) informed us that she has made up her mind to stay in her apartment at college and not come home during the Covid 19 challenge.  While I applauded her loyalty and commitment  to her job, I had a few questions:  How was she practicing social distancing?  Would she be able to cook and eat healthy?  She's a social creature (more than me, believe it or not), and I questioned her ability to cope with the limited human interaction that is likely to occur.  

Via Facetime she shared that she felt confident that this was the right decision for her.  She had all the answers, and she even acknowledged that her decision would be hard on us, "because I know you worry about me all the time, mom."  

This evening, I'm grieving.  On a light note, I had entertained some daydreams of daughter and mom pandemic-coping activities - doing our nails, trimming each other's hair, watching the chick flicks together that my hubby is not interested in.  I also recognize, deep down inside, that this means she likely won't come home for any length of time, again.  

I'm really sad and will miss her; but I'm also incredibly proud of her and look forward to seeing who she will become.  

3 comments:

  1. This is a hard time to be a mom of young adults, any way you look at it. It's really hard to have them gone; like you, I would worry and worry about them being safe, eating well, etc. On the other hand, my sons, mid 20's are here with me. Neither has an "essential job" so they are here all the time. That has its own set of challenges...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always such mixed feelings when they "fly the coop." Your sense of pride mixed with sadness come through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daughters are never that far away, though. Especially when you have a close relationship. Nevertheless, Bittersweet!

    ReplyDelete