Friday, March 27, 2020

Coming out of Quarantine - to Help Out!

Admin have been asked to help hand out bagged meals to students and families for the next few weeks.  Yesterday and today I was thrilled to have a purpose outside of my home office.  I showered happily, dressed with a little more care than I have been while quarantined, and hopped into my car to report to my station.  

After a few moments of uncertainty - where are the gloves?  who's got the bleach mixture to wipe the tables regularly?  where are the bagged meals?  - everything fell into place.  We found the masking tape lines that denoted the 6 feet of distance, we placed the tables and ropes to guide students and families, and we each took a role.  

Yesterday I was the greeter/counter - which made my extroverted soul ecstatic.  "Hi there, how are you?"  "Welcome - so glad to see you!" Joyful greetings flowed from me, with smiles and waves of encouragement.  "Step right up, here you go...how many meals?" and "Have you been reading any good books?  Getting on Canvas ok?"  Most of these kids and families didn't know me - but their smiles looked as grateful for the human interaction as for the bagged meals we were sharing.  

Today's role I was the meal deliverer - the counter would holler, "4 meals, Ms. E. Smith" and I would grab 4 bags with a hot lunch inside and deliver them to the table.  Next, like I was leaving an offering at my favorite religious site, I would back up to the six feet mark, arms wide and palms open, smile and call, "Have a good weekend."  

Returning to my office and a more sedentary work world than I have ever experienced, I felt energized and positive, and thankful for the opportunity to see any young people.  Although, I really wanted to see my students.  We miss them - all of us.  And, they miss us too.  

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I know this was fun! Seeing all those students again! Yay, you! I'm so impressed with how schools are going the extra mile to get students everything they need - food, computers, books. So great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You extroverts have twice the struggle. I'm so glad you could get out there and connect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Ellen. Thanks for the great images of you being you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds amazing--so much so that I want to join in. Are there bins of books for a swap? If not, can we make that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so fantastic- both serving the community and exercising the extrovert. Thank you for this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your experience sounds like the best therapy! I can so clearly see you smiling, waving, and offering a warm greeting.

    ReplyDelete