Friday, March 6, 2020

Ze Plane...Ze Plane

My legs hurt from standing (mostly still) for so many hours...
My body is tired from a long week...
but my brain and spirit are totally energized by the positivity of our parent/teacher conferences. 

This morning, I pulled the PA Mic close to my mouth, and inhaled.  What I really wanted to say was "Places, everyone, places," like Ricardo Montalban on Fantasy Island, the TV show that aired on Friday nights in the 80's!  Instead, I welcomed families and staff to Parent-Teacher Conferences and set the tone for the collaboration that is key to helping students be successful.  I took the post by the main entrance, welcoming families and encouraging them to stop after their conference and "shop" at our overflowing Lost and Found.  Parents proceeded to their conference space with a smile.

On the way out, many parents, even those parents for whom conferences were challenging, stopped to share their thoughts...about how great the teachers are, about how happy their kids are to come to school, and how much they appreciate the work we are doing to open a new school that is a safe and welcoming place for students.

Whoo hoo!  I need to bottle those messages and send them out to our staff:  You are doing a great job.  Keep it up.  The kids and families appreciate it.

6 comments:

  1. First of all, you totally got my attention with your title. When I was a kid, I never missed an episode of Fantasy Island. OMG, the memories you have unleashed with this one. As a teacher, I know how great it feels when parents affirm your efforts. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to end the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Fantasy Island reference was very amusing, Mr. Roark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Success! Good vibes all around. I can imagine staff could return to that bottle of compliments as energizing elixir all the way to June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running a school must be a lot like being a cruise ship director. Whoops. Wrong show. That's Love Boat. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the connection to Fantasy Island!!

    ReplyDelete