Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Spent last evening with some of my siblings and their kids at my parent's house.  It's never really relaxing these days, six nieces and nephews under the age of six means there is not much adult chat, and someone is always in need of attention (diaper, crying, hungry...).  As the oldest in the family, it's with mixed feelings that I reflect on these evenings.  Not long ago it was me with the crying children, but with mine off to college, I feel both the freedom from having little ones and a longing for them as well. 

R texted me from college randomly the other day and said, "Mom, I can't wait to have a kid.  You'd be a great grandparent."  Picking up the phone, I had to check that there wasn't another message woven in. I was relieved when she said, "No, I just meant you would have so much fun with the little ones, and wouldn't that be fun."  

Whew, I thought. I'm perfectly happy with the freedom I have now, and I'm not ready to head on to that next phase in life.  Sometime, though, won't that be fun.  

3 comments:

  1. Very sweet and you should enjoy this in between time when your own are grown and before you become a grandparent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right--may we have many moments of freedom. Take your time, R!

    ReplyDelete