Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Feeling the Lack of Sleep

It's great to have the kids home from college for spring break - I'm truly so glad to see either one (or both) of them when I walk in the door in the evening.

But, I mentioned to my husband this evening as we ate out on our usual date night, that having them home incurred a mental presence that I hadn't had to exercise since they were home for Christmas.  For example, last night my daughter had dinner with a friend at the friend's house - "I'll be home early," she said, so I listened for her to come home at 9:30, 10, 10;30 and again at 11:00.  As I sent the text at 11:00 saying, "Hey, when will you be home?" I heard the car park in the front of the house.  "Whew," I thought, and then I glanced at my phone as it chimed..."Mom, I'm home, but Natalie is hanging out here for a while.  She'll be gone before you wake up!"

Really?  I'm gonna be awake a little while longer, I thought.

The reality is, when they are at college, I don't worry about where they are, what they are doing, and when they will be home.  Perhaps I should be more....

When they are home and sleeping at home, I have an extra-sensory perception that causes me to worry more about these things - and it's totally unreasonable, I get it.  But it is instinct, or genetic, not sure.

So, as much as I miss them, maybe I will get a good night sleep once they get back to school; although I will continue to miss them dreadfully.  This must be a natural part of the growing up process, right?  Is it me that's growing up?

4 comments:

  1. I don't have kids of my own, but my own parents and many people I talk to say the same thing. I always knew that my parents would worry if they didn't know exactly when I was coming home. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are not old enough yet for me to worry about them at night, but recently I have the suspicion that I might have sleep apnea. I have been waking up with nightmares multiple times a night. It is hard to function well without a good night's sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ashley. My mom always worried when I was home from college but my dad worked nights so not so much for him. She's always ask, when will you be home? I loved to chit chat with her when I got home if she was still awake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home and when are you leaving? (I don't believe for a second that's what you mean, but it's a funny thought just the same.)

    ReplyDelete