Friday, March 2, 2018

Slice of a Nor'easter

In the black of the early morning hours I roll over, pulling the covers tighter to my neck, and squeezing my eyes shut again.  Not succumbing instantly to sleep, I realize what has woken me - the sound of the wind buffeting and raging against the house.  We had been warned that a Nor'easter was going to cause high winds, but I hadn't thought much about it.

The next few hours drag by as I drift in and out of sleep, jolting awake occasionally by huge roars of wind and fearing for the house and its surrounding trees.   When a notification chimes on my phone stating that schools and offices are closed, I move from the bedroom into the other room that shares our upper addition, and post myself, protectively, at the desk and window facing North. Now I watch the swaying of the oak trees, both close and afar, and monitor the health of my house based on the thunks and bumps that accompany the waves of whistling wind.

When it calms for a moment, I relax, until a another blast causes the windows to flex and the vent covers to vibrate and again my body tenses, bracing against the freight train that screams by.

8 comments:

  1. It is fierce. We have winds in interior Virginia, but probably not like the northeast. Hope your power stays on and damage is minimal and you can enjoy a day. I love how you wrote this in a way that brings me right into the moment with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ellen, that's a great description of the storm I'm feeling here as well. :)
    Digital Bonnie
    http://digitalbonnie.me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freight train is definitely what it sounds like at my house. Somehow in the dark of night, it is much louder. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living in the midwest, I have never experienced a nor'easter. I can only imagine what it must be like to hear the sounds and feel the vibrations in the middle of the night. Glad to know that at least for now, you are safe and your home has power. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the description- "In the black of the early morning hours..." It drew my right into the rest of the slice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic description! I confess I hadn’t really given this storm much thought either, but this is the first wind day I’ve ever had off from school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the description! I'm from the Midwest, so this is a new experience for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like it might be another night of it tonight. Tomorrow's early morning includes a drive to NYC, so I'm hoping the weather is calm in the AM.

    ReplyDelete