Sunday, March 25, 2018

Love This Southern Tradition

Today the hubby and I went out for breakfast.  I had the special, eggs benedict and avacado, and he had a western omelet.  Both were good, really, but we both agreed that the best part of breakfast were the grits. 

I had to look up what they really are.  "Small grains of minced white corn boiled in milk or water," this dictionary.com description just doesn't do them justice.  These grits were creamy white, with a velvety smooth texture in my mouth.  They were not watery, but not so thick and dry that the spoon stood up. These were not instant grits - these had been cooked by an expert, for a long time.  A pat of whipped butter sat right on top of the pale pile, waiting for a shake of salt and pepper, or Tabasco if you wish.  A quick stir streaked the white with yellow, and I dove in. 

There are many people who don't love grits, but before you say you won't eat them, I totally recommend finding the right place to try them.  City Diner in Falls Church is the right place if you live in Northern Virginia! 

1 comment:

  1. I may have to come to that diner, because I truly haven't found grits I enjoy so far. But the eggs and avocado - that sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete