Thursday, March 22, 2018

Can't Take the Middle Schooler Out...

Whoever thought it was a good idea to send middle schoolers to school when there was even one flake of snow on the ground, was obviously not thinking.  Our March snow arrived yesterday - and we all quite enjoyed the day off because of this snow.  But this morning, as hundreds of middle schoolers unfurled themselves from the confines of the buses and onto school property, all I could think was "Mayhem, we will have mayhem." 

And sure enough, I spent most of my 45 minutes of duty this morning hollering, "Put the snow down.  Yep, you, Put. The. Snow. Down.  Drop it," and gesturing with my hand an opening of the fist and downward swing. And I repeated this exercise this afternoon.  Ludicrous, I know, but they all got where they were going safely.

As the last bus pulled away this afternoon, one of my colleagues lobbed a huge snowball towards our school resource officer, hitting him perfectly.  There is something about middle school students and staff that is just drawn to that snow. 

Next time, they're not coming back until it's all melted, none of them. 

2 comments:

  1. High school students are not much better. At the first sign of a snowflake, do you think we will have an early out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a fan of cancelling school until every last flake has melted. If only the superintendent agreed.

    ReplyDelete