Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Some Classes...

In January, in order to help myself neutralize the "empty-nester blues" I signed up for a Spanish class for adults.  I've worked in our strongly Latin school district for 27 years and could be fluent in multiple languages after that amount of time, but I never made the commitment.  This year, I did - and I have been happily going to class for the last two months, every Wednesday evening from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM.  

Our class of 15 students range from pretty young 20 somethings, a few of us in the middle (50's I'd say), and a few in the 70-80 range.  This, along with our entertaining instructor, makes the class very interesting.  It's fascinating watching people of all ages grapple with learning something new; we all are making mistakes and supporting each other with the answers whenever possible.  

I don't think we are the teacher's favorite class.  We have a tendency to be a little rowdy (laughing at and with each other, commenting on the side, getting our teacher off track).  If this class was in my school it's very possible we would have all been sent to the office for disruption.  But, we are having fun and learning Spanish.

This evening our instructor announced that next week was our last class for this semester.  We were shocked.  Time sure went by fast.  

"Aren't we having a fiesta?" one of my classmates asked. 

"Let's have a pinata!" hollered another classmate.  And suddenly the class was totally pumped about this idea. 

"I'll bring guac and chips," the person sitting next to me volunteered, happily.  And... the teacher at that point lost control of the class.  Looking dazed, she agreed that we could have our fiesta, and she would bring a traditional flan dessert from Venezuela.  

Happily we cheered, hollered "Buenas Noches," and quickly disappeared into the night.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment