Tuesday, March 6, 2018

He Called Me What?

When people ask what I do, they often groan in empathetic misery...it's so classic. 

"Yes, I work with middle school students," I say, "and I think they're awesome."

"Middle school?  Whew, what do you teach?" they ask, eyebrows raised.

"I'm an assistant principal," I respond and flinch when they gasp, horrified. This interchange is often followed by, "I hated middle school," by the other party - which I find so disappointing.  

It is absolutely true that the adolescent time we spend in middle school or junior high is/was challenging for just about everyone.  But, as an adult working in one now, I love the unexpectedness that every day brings.  For example:  

Today D walked up to me, his brown, longish, curly hair floated around his head like a tarnished halo. 

"Ms. E. Smith," he hollered, walking over to me as the classes changed, "I need to go to your office."

I smiled, this was a common way for a couple of kiddos to try to escape from class.  "D, you crack me up.  No, c'mon, i'll walk you to class."

"Ms. E. Smith, Bruh, I really need to talk to you," he stated, looking intently down at me, his impish smile replaced by a serious look.  

"Okay D," I responded and we headed towards the office.  

There is no perfect middle school assistant principal experience, but I have to say, being called "Bruh" by one of my seventh grade boys was totally unexpected, and heartwarming and lovely.  I'm reading it as a vote of confidence.  Who knows what tomorrow may bring.  

5 comments:

  1. Bruh, that is awesome! You must be doing things right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful - there is a level of trust that comes with that little word. You are doing something right! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are meant to be with middle schoolers! What an endearing slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the use of dialogue in this piece! It creates a picture but leaves enough space for the reader to create their own interpretation of the "characters." I teach middle schoolers too, and cannot understand why so many people offer sympathy about it. They are the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a natural, and your bruh knows it. How awesome that he seeks you out for some time.

    ReplyDelete