Sunday, March 4, 2018

It's Quiet Here...

The house is quiet again - but yesterday evening it felt like normal...

I walked in the kitchen door, mentally drained from the IB training on assessment I had attended, but anticipating seeing the kids.  The house was quiet, so I sat down in my armchair to just breathe and regather myself, wondering where they all were.  Soon, i heard the sound of footsteps on the stairs and a deep voice boomed, "Hey Mom, you're home!" and I was enveloped in my son's long, tall hug. Within minutes, my daughter bounced in the door - dropping bags, water bottles and paraphernalia everywhere. "Hey, we are all home!" she hollered, as my husband joined us in the family gathering place in our home, the kitchen.

In my comfy chair, a glass of wine in hand, two college kids teasing and talking around the table in the kitchen, and my husband producing amazing things for dinner, all felt right with the world.

Today they are gone again - headed out to camp on what looks to be a pretty chilly night - and it's quiet here.

3 comments:

  1. I like how the role of your chair evolves in this one! First a quiet resting place, and then the comfy island in the middle of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh - I'm back in my armchair now, feeling a little lonely and grumpy on a Sunday evening. Thanks for finding that central symbol.

      Delete
  2. Such joy in that kitchen! It's clear you all share that spirit for being together.

    ReplyDelete