Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Not in My Job Description?!

When I tried on my costume this weekend, I was not excited.  The red "onsie" was made of a very thin polyester and the extra large-that fit me in some places-was way too big in others...giving my curves quite the challenge. Static electricity which is always a problem for this time of year, caused the onsie to cling all the way up each leg.  My 15 year-old insisted on "helping me" perfect the costume, so she added a belt and a sparkly white bow.  "Mom," she insisted, "you have to look like a girl Thing One!"

This morning, after a rather serious parent conference, I donned that red onsie reluctantly, and joined the Cat, the Professor, and my partner in crime, Thing 2, to share our love of reading and Dr. Seuss with our students.  As our entertaining group walked into the first classroom of sixth graders, the students looked at us incredulously - stunned, even.  I handed out Seuss bookmarks, and the Professor (our principal) read a segment from The Places You'll Go.  The kids truly didn't know how to react to us!  We moved from one sixth grade classroom to another leaving hesitant giggles and smiles in our wake.

Heading into seventh and eighth grade classrooms I was heartened to see cameras come out, hear laughter and good-natured call-outs from kids, and, best of all, spontaneous applause as we left their classes. Watching these adolescents listen to the story, their eyes on the "Professor" and lips turned up in smiles, reminded me just how important it is for our middle schoolers to be read to and to be allowed, even encouraged, to be kids.

I was happy, thrilled really, to take the red "Thing One" costume off after bus duty this afternoon. As I did remove it, I realized that Dr. Seuss had taught me another important lesson today - taking a risk as an adult and doing something silly for and with kids, is totally worth the mental energy. The number of kids who high-fived me on the way to the bus and said, "Awesome costume, Ms. E. Smith" made it totally worth it.  Like neurons making pathways in the brain, risk-taking on my part formed a little connection with a child, that over time will become stronger.  And, that is what this job is all about.       

9 comments:

  1. You did a great job! The kids were surprised (as was I) and happy for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such fun. I was Clifford one year and had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok - Leigh Anne - I'll try to add a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I don't know what else to say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I became painfully aware how often I fail to let my own kids see me take risks because I thought I didn't want them to see me fail or look silly. Now that they are sixth graders, I see how important it is for us to model that for our kids/students. Thanks for the post. Your description of the costume was spot-on. I had a mental image even without the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! It is all about taking that risk - so glad you did. The kids will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making connections and taking risks, two great things for anyone to do in life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome! I love that you are so willing to do some fun things even when you teach middle school! They obviously appreciate it too! Your question teaser caught my interest!!

    ReplyDelete