Wednesday, March 4, 2015

It's hard to help kids through bad decisions

I could hear a low chatter on the radio.  But I was in a classroom observing a social studies class who were re-teaching each other the causes of WWI using a variety of political cartoons.  I dialed the volume knob a little lower knowing that in the afternoon there was often chatter about end of the day activities, etc. However, at the last minute I heard my name.  "Does anyone know where Ms. E. Smith it?" harrumphed a gravely voice.

"I'm in a classroom, doing an observation," I whispered into the handheld radio.

"You are needed in your office."  the voice replied intensely.  Rarely would a staff member pull me out of an observation - those visits are sacrosanct.  However, this sounded serious.  I packed up the laptop, nodded apologetically to the teacher, and headed back to the office.

When I arrived, the three young men sitting in the chairs outside the office looked up at me with grim faces.  "What is the problem?" I asked grimly.

The other Assistant Principal motioned me into his office, "These three were caught vaping in the boys bathroom."

"What the heck is vaping?"  I whispered.

"Smoking e-cigarettes - look at this!" and he handed me a 6 inch purple metallic tube with a glass capsule, filled with a purple liquid.  "The good news is they admitted it immediately - and were very honest."

Point is - kids make mistakes - and the most important thing for me to do is provide them access to the most up-to-date information about the impact of drugs (any drug really) on their brains and body, and help them recover from this mistake and move forward.  Small side bonus - I am kept in the loop about the crazy, stupid, and heart-wrenching things that kids can potentially do - and this I can use to help others make better decisions.  Lesson coming up on e-cigs - what they are (cause they didn't know) and how they can damage the adolescent brain.

Sad day.  

6 comments:

  1. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. I'm glad for the integrity of the kids to admit their mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vaping--never heard that term either. I want to hear more about e-cigs--I'd like to keep all adolescent brains functional. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like this gave you an opportunity to provide a very important and very needed lesson. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it me, or is this snow well-timed? On the bright side...you learned something new today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you are able to note something positive through this. You are super reflective and the students are lucky to have you to provide them with lessons like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe their consequence can involve designing political cartoons about vaping middle schoolers...a PSA of sorts.

    ReplyDelete