Saturday, March 21, 2015

500 Interviews in One Day

Is your cup half empty or half full?
How would you respond to a child who doesn't have a pencil?
What happens to your interactions with students and staff when you get tired or stressed?
What do you really believe about students and their varied needs for learning?

I couldn't ask any of these questions today.  "Stick to the script," we were told when we entered the job fair. I was assigned to the "speed dating" round of interviews.  In these brief interviews I asked three questions, one about planning, one about differentiation, and one about culturally responsive teaching.  After listening to the answers and gathering credentials, I then made a decision either to send this person forward for another, more in depth interview or thank the person and make sure they understand the process for applying.  In order to be fair, I really had to stick to the script.  But I truly wanted to hone in on what type of attitude you might have; how you build relationships with students; and perhaps how you respond to stress.

Because, the reality is I can support you in developing the craft of being a teacher - lesson planning, differentiating instruction, and creating assessments that align with standards and teaching.  But, I can't teach you to love your students, every one of them.  I can't make you believe that every student can be successful, if you don't.  I can't demand you to persist in believing in kids even in the face of certain failure.

Those traits, however, often make the difference for the children that we worry most about.  I can only accept what you have to show me during our 10 minute speed dating interview.

How can you show me who are you going to be for our students?

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful question. And even though you stuck to your script - did you hear a whisper of an answer from anyone today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- it must be really hard to know who the good candidates are! As you say, it is a teacher's heart, attitude, and beliefs about learning that are harder to shape than how to craft a lesson plan. Sometimes the candidate who is the most polished speaker might not really be the best teacher. I know teachers who did poorly interviewing due to nerves but were the most dedicated, giving, excellent teachers in the classroom. I hope you found some gems today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- it must be really hard to know who the good candidates are! As you say, it is a teacher's heart, attitude, and beliefs about learning that are harder to shape than how to craft a lesson plan. Sometimes the candidate who is the most polished speaker might not really be the best teacher. I know teachers who did poorly interviewing due to nerves but were the most dedicated, giving, excellent teachers in the classroom. I hope you found some gems today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I wonder about the whole interview process, does it really show us the best candidate? Glad that I don't have to apply for a teaching job anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bring up very important points. As a principal, I tend to interview very differently than most. Like you, I care more about who they are as a person, rather than what pedagogical information they can give me. They can study for that- know the buzz words I want to hear- but they can't study for being a good person, for having a caring heart, for being open-minded and reflective. Those are the things I'm most concerned with. I, too, would have had a hard time sticking to the script. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely. so true---and I often think about these very points when it comes to Teacher of the Year types of things, too----it really becomes a writing competition rather than a peek into the real-deal in the classroom. (not that great folks aren't able to be chosen from both these efforts!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! I feel, and this is my opinion, that even some teachers don't really "know" their students! They are just there to teach the lesson, but they never really connect on any other level with the kids. Thanks for sharing your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the speed-dating hook And the contrast between what you asked and what you wanted them to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the speed-dating hook And the contrast between what you asked and what you wanted them to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - shows you just how many are eager to enter the teaching world and just how difficult it is. But you are so right - the questions you wanted to access (demand really) are the most important. Will you nurture and care for and even love these little ones and help them grow??

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a challenging task, to some how ferret out the ones that should move on and those who need to grow a little more first. You must have been exhausted by the end of the day. The term "speed dating" really captures the process!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! "I can't make you believe in a child..." or not form negative mindsets about them over time. Who can predict all that in ten minutes. But--there's a whole lot more that will eventually, and hopefully be revealed before the hire. I think believing in a kid and helping him/her by seeing the far horizon for them is the essence of teaching, don't you? Love...definitely, but belief, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your second question about the pencil. Boy, does that say a lot about a teacher (no sarcasm here). Too bad it wasn't on the official list.

    ReplyDelete