Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Be able to laugh at yourself

After the department meeting ended around 4:00 I raced into the AP office suite, dropped my computer onto the table in the common area and griped to the office in general, "I haven't even had time to go to the bathroom today!"  As a response was not necessary from either our finance officer or the other Assistant Principal, I raced out of the suite and jigged toward the restroom.

I admit, I was distracted as I was leaving the stall, picking up my radio, making sure my phone didn't fall from my pocket into the toilet, grabbing the pencil behind my ear as it slid to the floor, and listening to a teacher share with me her students' progress.  I washed my hands as we chatted and followed the teacher out into the hallway.

Encouraging the teacher to head home after a long day, I returned to the AP suite to wrap up one last challenging parent phone call.  I noticed a young man seated in my AP colleague's office with whom I had spent the better part of an hour earlier creating a behavior plan and contract.  "N...What are you doing here?" I growled as I walked into the doorway of the office.  "You were what?  Sent out of your after school class? Really?" And I glared down at him, hands on my hips.

I then continued to encourage, nag, bolster, and bluster, for a good five minutes - at which point the other AP said to me, "I think we can let him go now, don't you?"  And N. ran for the door.

Then, with a slight blush rising from his neck, my AP colleague said to me, "Ms. Smith, I know you were in a rush to get to the bathroom, but...?" and he gestured towards me.  I glanced down and realized that my wide black belt with the silver buckle was dangling completely open.

Poor N. - I'm not sure what was more traumatizing, the nagging from me or the sight of me with my belt buckle completely undone.  I was mortified, true - but soon my office mates and I were hysterical with laughter.  What an incredible release of tension.  I needed a good laugh; all the better that it was at my expense.

3 comments:

  1. That reminds me of the time my sister stood up in church and her skirt (elastic waist) fell off! Good thing she was wearing a slip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes multitasking takes a toll even on the sharpest of us! I like the verb "jigged" in the first paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your student may be less inclined to find himself making a trip to your office now...you may have completely scared him...Ha!

    ReplyDelete